April 12, 2002
ECM CALIBRATION UPDATE - M.I.L. "ON" DTC P0420 OR P0430 AND ENHANCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE
'01 - '02 RAV4
The Engine Control Module (ECM) calibration has been revised to enhance Engine Performance and to prevent a M.I.L. "ON" with DTC P0420 (Bank 1 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold) or DTC P0430 (Bank 2 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold) under certain driving conditions
NOTE: These calibration files supercede the calibration files found in TSB EG008-1 M.I.L. "ON" P0420, P0430 dated May 18, 2001.
2001 - 2002 model year RAV4 vehicles produced before the VINs shown below.
Production Change Information
This repair is covered under the Toyota Federal Emissions Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.
* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.
Required Tools & Material
VERIFY VEHICLE CONDITION
1. Check for the Authorized Modifications Label affixed to the vehicle in the location shown in Figure 2. Confirm updated ECM calibration. If not the latest ECM calibration, go to step 2.
2. Connect the Diagnostic Tester to the vehicle and select CURRENT ECU CAL from the ECU REPROGRAM MAIN MENU. Determine the vehicle's current ECU calibration. (See Figure 1.)
If calibration ID matches "Previous Calibration ID" as shown, proceed with flash reprogramming.
If calibration ID matches "New Calibration ID" as shown, this vehicle has already been reprogrammed.
2001 RAV4 can contain a 2002 RAV4 ECM if ECM was previously replaced.
2001 ECM calibration file will not update a 2002 ECM in a 2001 RAV4.
ECM calibration must be updated with ECM calibration file which matches.
FLASH REPROGRAM ECM
1. Follow the procedures outlined in TSB SS002-01, ECU Flash Reprogramming Process, dated March 9, 2001.
2. Select the proper ECM calibration file for the vehicle based on the current ECU calibration ID and reprogram the ECM.
3. After flash reprogramming the ECM, enter the following information on the Authorized Modifications Label using a permanent marker.
ECM part number and new calibration ID
Your dealer code
This TSB number